Beauty by Sweet Pea

Beauty by Sweet Pea
Sweet Pea

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

I couldn’t put it down. It was so good; it became more of a distraction for me when it came to doing all the other things I should be doing: writing, folding laundry, getting some extra sleep in. But, I couldn’t put it down.

First, I must say that I am disappointed in the movie. That is difficult for me to admit because Julia Roberts in my favorite actress. I think she is brilliant, talented, and one of the most beautiful dolls alive. But the movie, Eat, Pray, Love, was so far from the book that I was simply disappointed. Hollywood, as it usually does, played upon my emotions and twisted the truth. I took Momma to see it, as I wanted to do a mother-daughter day with her, and I have no regrets in our choice of movie. I just found myself calling her after every new chapter, starting the conversation with, “Remember that scene in the movie? Well, it really didn’t happen that way!”

However, I saw the movie when I was midway through the book, so when I returned to the book, I found myself even more engulfed in the characters and scenery and of course, the food. My gosh, it was written so wonderfully, I felt as if I was present in every scene.

For one, when Gilbert was in Italy, every passage I read made me hungry! And now, I find myself having a small love affair with: cheese! Yes, I cannot get enough cheese! In fact, one evening when Prince Charming was away at a meeting, Puppy joined me as I made myself a meal of mozzarella cheese with garlic and basil, organic crackers, organic cheese pizza, a glass of red wine followed by organic toffee chocolate for dessert. Delizioso!

When Gilbert was in India, I was captured by her ways of meditation. As a yogi, I often strive to find any sort of balance my body can come up with. The way Gilbert was able to meditate and find her connection to God was inspiring and gave me something to look forward to as I continue to craft my search for inner balance and strength.

Indonesia was a chapter of two kinds of love. I was entranced by the love she found for Wayan and Tutti. (And as an enthusiast of all things organic, oh how I wish I could try Wayan’s multivitamin lunch special)! I was also happy to see Gilbert let herself be loved again by Felipe. She was able to find a romance that was made just for her, not the way society defines love but the way she defined it. And with that I want to end on this thought:

Every work day, I enter the city through the train station. It’s a world of as many things new as they are the same. People from all over the planet walk through here. Some are on their way to work, some on their way to meet with friends and family, some to be first in line for a special event. The other day I missed my normal train. I had to take the “second train” which is one that I absolutely hate. The people on this train are in such a rush to get Downtown. There are so many people that board, you can hardly find a seat (and it’s only the third stop!). Still, I had no choice. So Prince Charming and I grabbed a coffee, had some extra time to chat that morning, and before too soon, I was off on the second train on my way to work. When I got to the station, after letting everyone who had to be first getting off the train, I slowly strolled myself out the door, down the stairs and through the marketplace. As I was walking, I saw a couple that I used to see all the time. They are an older couple. She is tall, thin, and classy looking. He is a tad bit shorter than her, slightly overweight, and just as elegant. She, however, walks extremely slow, having to lean on him every step she takes. Every time I see them, he holds her hand tight, and walks step-by-step with her, never making her feel uncomfortable or rushed. He talks to her and smiles, as the world of commuters literally pass them by. I usually walk on the other side of the market, slowing myself down, as I cannot take my eyes off them. Their love for each other is so strong and so real, that no matter what is going on around them, he takes his time with her, and she looks for that every morning. No matter what mood I am in, the site of them gives me such hope. I stop, close my eyes for a moment, and ask God to give Prince Charming and I that same devotion. To remember that as we grow old together, we must never forget that love is what will keep us strong. Let the world pass us by, for what we have is worth slowing down and waiting for. Sweet dreams!

xox - Sweet Pea

No comments:

Post a Comment